Re: ORDER BY and Unicode

От M. Bastin
Тема Re: ORDER BY and Unicode
Дата
Re: ORDER BY and Unicode  (Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>)
Список pgsql-novice
>  > 2.  "ORDER BY mycolumn" gives a wrong sort order.
>>
>>  Uppercase ASCII characters come first, then
>>  lowercase ASCII, then accented characters...
>>  This really isn't what a human would like to see.
>
>This is driven by locale, what LC_COLLATE value
>was the database created with (if you don't know then
>pg_controldata should give that to you)?
>
>It sounds like the locale is "C" locale which means
>sort by byte value or perhaps the locale is one that isn't
>for the correct encoding.

I've found this:
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/charset.html#LOCALE>

"locale -a" isn't recognized on OS X.  How else can I find the
possible locales?

And how can I do an initdb so that sorting on Unicode will work for
French, Greek, Japanase, etc. users of a single database?

Thanks,

Marc